Sunday, January 30, 2022

Wisdom Teeth and ER Visit

    


 (From Dad's letter to Talmage)

Monday of this week was Martin Luther King Jr Day so we didn’t have school.  I took Bryant to his 9am wisdom teeth extraction appointment in Kennewick.  It only took about 40 minutes and $1450.  Bryant assured me several times that the medicine would have no effect upon him, but I videoed him anyway.  The funniest thing was he would open his eyes really wide and then they would go distant/sleepy/lazy.  It was so funny.  He was laughing a lot too and speaking Spanish.  He said, “Yo quiero un bocadillo!” (I want a sandwich). With gauze in his mouth it sounded like he was saying “Hero un bocadillo!” You will be impressed with this part—I asked if he would like to call Mom.  He said, yes.  I asked, “What do you want to say to her?”  He said, “I love you, Mom!”  I then asked, “Is there anyone else you want to say I love you to?”  He said, “Not when you’re recording!”  Then I asked, “Is there anyone else you want to call?”  He said, “Payson!  I love you, Payson! And Nick (Zornes) and Talmage—great job! And Rebecca (Haertling) and Julia (Henry) and Cooper (Maughan).”  I hope you realize that under the influence of “truth serum” he was revealing how proud he is of you and how much he looks up to you.  It was also interesting that he would bring up Rebecca and Julia.  I’ve always suspected he liked them, but would never admit it to us.  He did some other funny things too, but I guess you’ll just have to watch the video.  His facial expressions were the funniest part.  He also did some of his impersonations of Goofy.  I put my phone in the phone holder on the dashboard and pointed it at him and recorded him on the whole drive home.



Wednesday night Rex walked into our bedroom at 1:30am.  He said he had been up since 1:00am and couldn’t breath.  He didn’t want to wake us up so he waited until it was really bad.  I woke Bryant up and we administered to Rex.  I dressed and Mom dressed Rex and he and I sat out on the back porch bundled in blankets and breathing the cold air.  It was a pretty warm night though—about 40 degrees and some rain/drizzle.  I held him on the porch for 1.5 hours and it was so peaceful.  He could hardly talk because of the croupy, raspy voice and cough.  At about 3am it got to the point where he was struggling for breath.  It was getting really scary.  I went right inside and grabbed my wallet, threw on some real pants and we loaded Rex in the car and I took him to the emergency room.  He was really struggling for breath as we took him to the car.  It calmed down a little by the time we got to the hospital.  I was worried it was COVID and with Rex not vaccinated and having been a pre-mature twin with under-developed lungs, I wasn’t going to take any chances in waiting.  I was surprised that the Emergency Room was empty and very quiet.  We got right in and they took us back to a room.  Rex could hardly whisper and it was hard to understand him, but he was breathing a little better.  They never asked about COVID or checked for COVID.  They listened to his chest and throat and he had some congestion in his chest and more up higher in his throat.  They gave him a steroid (drank it) and a breathing treatment for 10 minutes.  It looked like he was vaping.  He didn’t like it (especially the taste).  It made a huge difference in his ability to talk and in his breathing.  We were at the hospital from 3:20am until about 4:45am and then home by 5am.  Rex was so wired from the steroid that he talked non-stop the whole way home.  I tried to sleep from 5am to 6am but it was tough.  Then I got up and had to get ready and went to work.  It was a pretty long day.  I only had a couple hours of sleep and by 5pm I was pretty tired driving home from work.

Home from school doing Uncle Dave's homework.

Lyle's Coat of Arms

Dad ordered insoles for Hyrum's shoes.  Once they were trimmed down to size, Lyle had a use for the trimmings.

Taking a minute at the pool to pray for Uncle Vard during his interviews.

First sandwich after the wisdom teeth!


No comments:

Post a Comment