Monday, November 12, 2012

Reflections

Some days cause us to think a little deeper than other days.  Today was one of those days.

Eigtheen months ago, while in the NICU with Rex and Lyle at Kadlec, I received a phone call with the news that Clara Woodward had been diagnosed with cancer.  She was the same age as Hyrum.  In the ensueing weeks, Natasha and I connected as we faced extremely challenging times in our lives.  Talmage was good friend's with Clara's oldest brother, and the kids had all played together on occasion.  Our families were experiencing "not normal" at the same time. Clara became part of our daily family prayers.

Today was Clara's funeral.  It was simple, beautiful, and powerful. 

As I held Hyrum on my lap, he sucked on my sweater, squirmed, picked his nose, and asked if it was time to go home yet.  I couldn't help but be grateful as my heart ached knowing Natasha and Brian would have loved to have Clara doing the same thing on their laps.

It's just been one of those days.  I'm grateful.  We need those every once in awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment