Sunday, June 23, 2013

A Deacon

This is from my journal entry today:

Today Talmage was ordained a Deacon.  Bishop asked him to bear his testimony to our family before he was ordained.  He bore a solid testimony.  We are so pleased with him.

Tonight he spent quite a while with Hyrum listening to the children’s scripture stories.  Often he’ll ask me what he can do to help.  Almost always when I ask him to do something he’ll do it cooperatively.  Yesterday, we planted the last of our 288 pumpkin starts.  He and I were working together for a large portion of the time and it was a delight.  He enjoyed working and I couldn’t have been happier.  He has a knack for plants and gardening.  For his birthday, we gave him a red clothes hamper and a box of TIDE and a box of dryer sheets.  He was excited about that responsibility and preparing to be ready for a mission.  He is developing his musical talents and enjoys it.  Tonight, he called his violin teacher and arranged for some summer instruction.  On the evening of his birthday party, I was up late working on some pillows for Jenks’ reception.  After he came home from dropping everybody off, he took a shower and then came into me and knelt beside me.  With the most sincere and heartfelt eyes, he said, “Mom, I’m really grateful for all you do for me.”  I LOVE THAT BOY! 
This week, James and I will take him to dinner, talk to him about this stage of life and give him a temple recommend holder and a pocket-sizedFor the Strength of Youth pamphlet. We’ll take him shopping and let him pick out a wallet and teach him how important those two items in his wallet are. Next Sunday he’ll have his interview for a temple recommend. 

He chose mud pie for his birthday cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment