Sunday, September 29, 2019

Field Trips and First Date

With Homecoming next week, Bryant was down to the wire to take me out as his first date.  He called me Thursday night to ask me out for Friday.  The plan was for him to "pick me up" at 5:30 for a bite to eat and a movie (which we discourage on real dates but allow with Mom).  I was hurrying back from town to make it home by 5:30 only to find him reading in his track clothes in the office.  "Bryant, you are supposed to be picking me up right now!"  I quizzed him about his shower, he told me he would just wear extra deoderant.  He "dressed up" in his hawk squad T-shirt.  I coaxed him into a collared shirt for this picture.  On the way into town he decided there was too much traffic on Rd. 68 and he wasn't going to drive to a restaurant.  I practically begged to go get some food, but he wouldn't have it.  Finally he told me there was a granola bar in the glove compartment.  Really, Bryant!?  All I could do was laugh thinking about him offering a real date the granola bar from the glove compartment.  The granola bar was old and we laughed some more.  We went and watched the computer animated "Lion King."  By then I was really hungry and I tried to tell him that I thought it would be an important experience for him to order off a menu and pay for a meal.  Consenting, we drove the back road to Applebee's.  Once he saw how crowded it was, he changed his mind.  I begged again, but to no avail.  James had texted that we needed some milk so I went into Walmart by myself.  On the way home we stopped at Little Ceasar's.  He did go in and buy the pizza.  Then he insisted we go the back way to get gas--again to avoid traffic.  I told him I didn't think the back way went all the way to Maverick.  He insisted it did, "Pretty sure Talmage went this way."  Before long we were in the dirt going up and down hills in the green bean--laughing again at the thought of this happening on a real date.  Needless to say, it was a memorable night.
We were the only ones home at the time so it had to be a selfie.

On Tuesday I had texted Talmage several questions with no response.  In the afternoon, I walked outside and saw two praying mantis.  Thinking of Talmage, I took a close look and took some pictures and texted him.  I got a response in a few minutes.  That kids needs to go into the life sciences.


That evening on our way to Pack Night, we decided to grab some bike helmets since the boys would be driving soap box cars down Bleazard's driveway.  When Rex pulled a bike helmet out of a black garbage bag in the garage, these keys hit the floor.  We've been missing them for almost 2 months!!  I still have no idea how they got in a bike helmet, in a garbage bag, in the garage--but I'm grateful!

Wednesday we surprised Bryant in Walla Walla at his XC meet.  He ran strong, I was really impressed.  Only one Chiawana runner beat him in his race, he took 20th overall which was fantastic.

Bryant is in the front in the dark jersey right between the two flag poles.
Vard came and slept here that night when he missed his flight to AZ to visit Kase and Brielle for the weekend.  It was nice to have his company.

Friday was Field Trip day at Sacajewea Park for Rex and Lyle.  It had potential but was kind of a let down with organization and having to leave early because of bus schedules.  And...Rex really did not like the fact that he got stung by a wasp.  (He was the unlucky one at Palouse Falls during Spring Break too.)  So, Megan Woolf, Saralyn Campbell, and Jessica Perkins and I kept our kids after the bus headed back to the school to watch the indian dancers since we didn't get to see them.  After we watched them, Rex and Lyle insisted I take them back to the school for fun Friday.  I think they were more excited about that than the Field Trip.

Their bridge they had to make in 10 minutes with 20 straws and scotch tape.
The starting line in the bitter cold Connell Invitational.  The course was name for Dan Colby, and rightfully so.

Sariah coming in 4th.
The weather turned from the beautiful Wednesday at Bryant's XC meet to yesterday that hovered in the 40s.  Brrr.  Didn't stop our girl though!

No comments:

Post a Comment