Sunday, May 22, 2011

When it Rains it Pours

Yesterday morning as I was anticipating discharge from the hospital, James called and said that Hyrum had broken out horribly. We talked to Rex and Lyle's doctor about whether or not I should go home. Since it sounded like allergies and not something contagious (no fever) he said it was okay to go home. By the time James and I got here, it was overwhelming and James took him immediately to the urgent care. Does this not break your heart (and put medical dictionary images to shame)?

On the bright side, Lyle nursed three times today! We are probably talking about 10-15 mL each feeding but I can't tell you how exciting that is for me. To see him and hear him gulping now is pure joy. (I'm sure I'll be scolding him for such atrocious manners in a few years.) He gets worn out fast, but he has shown a few smiles (reflexive of course) and I just beam inside. He is so tiny. An ounce shy of 4 lbs., as of this morning, but the nurses words today were, "he doesn't act like a preemie." She also said under her breath that she expects Lyle will come home sooner than Rex. I don't know how I'm going to take care of two preemies in two different locations! We'll cross that bridge when we come to it I guess.

The breaking news of the day...I got to hold Rex for the first time. It was a major undertaking with all of his wires, cords, lines, and ventilator apparatus. I'm so grateful the nurse and respiratory therapist were willing to tackle such a feat so that I could hold my little Rex. And when I say little, I'm talking 3 lbs. 14 oz.! He hasn't made much progress as far as lung development. Dr. Hadeed ordered two doses of steroids to see if that will help him over this first hurdle and help him get on his way. When I just called the hospital to find out how he responded, they said his evening blood gas showed a CO2 level of 54 and they won't pull the tube until it is less than 53. He will have another dose of steroid at 2am tonight and they'll check a chest x-ray in the morning.

Oh how we love these little, little ones.

Oh how we appreciate the outpouring of love and generosity of so many people around us. Friends even took our three oldest to church today because I was at the hospital and James was home with Hyrum!

Oh how we value the prayers of all those praying on behalf of Rex and Lyle. We know those prayers are heard.

Ready or not, here they come.
I had to include this picture because it is such a great picture of the man who is holding us all together right now. Oh how I love him and appreciate the incredible person he is. He is doting on Hyrum--- oatmeal and soda baths and lots of TLC. I'm so grateful he is such a good dad and I don't feel like Hyrum is in any way neglected when he is needing so much love.

Meeting Rex for the first time (all of about 30 seconds)

Meeting Lyle for the first time.

So tiny!

Sariah meets Lyle.

James holds Lyle for the first time. (Thursday night about midnight.)

I hold Lyle for the first time.

Holding Rex for the first time. (Today)

So tiny!

3 comments:

  1. Makala!! I am so happy for you....there have been so many times I wanted to call you, but only imagine youare so exhausted and have no time to chat....they are so precious. Wish I was there to help you juggle everything in life right now. Two of my kids have had that same rash....they were allergic to Amoxicillan, hope he is doing better! I will call you in a bit...guess I will be seeing you in a month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so glad to see more pictures! Hayden now tells me before he says a prayer, "Remember to bless Makala's babies." Now I can tell him to bless Rex and Lyle. So glad you got your names, and most importantly, glad that they are doing so well under the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Our prayers are with you, the babes and Hyrum to heal quickly. Much love!

    ReplyDelete