Sunday, May 29, 2011

Still Storming

That last post was only the beginning of the storm---believe it or not.

By Monday, my leg was hurting so bad I knew something was not right. I got in touch with the Dr. and had an ultrasound on my leg---confirmed blood clot. I was instructed that it wasn't the life threatening kind and that the goal was to break it up and move it through. So I was to deep massage, use heat, and walk. So for the next three days I beat my leg with a vibrator, rubbed hard, heated it, and walked any time I wasn't at the hospital, and sometimes when I was. By Wednesday I was in such pain I could hardly walk. I decided to try something else, aspirin to thin the blood.

On Wednesday night, I took one aspirin at about 9pm. Within a half hour my face started to swell and I was breaking out in hives all over my body. Soon there was a tickle in my throat and my chest started to tighten. About that time my mom walked in the door, she called 911 and James took me to a neighbor who we knew had a least a child's dose epipen. We came home and waited the few minutes for the ambulance as I tried to take deep breaths. The paramedics stormed in the door and within seconds had shot me with the epinephrine. I was whisked away in the ambulance requesting to at least go to the same hospital as my babies. They loaded me with drugs at the hospital and kept me for observation. An hour and a half later, my IV was taken out, I signed the discharge papers and was about to step off the bed when it all flared up again (called "rebound") and I had to have everything including the epinephrine again. If you get two doses of epinephrine you get to stay the night. So, I spent the night at the hospital, it the critical decisions unit.

The next morning I had another ultrasound on my leg. It was actually feeling a lot better and I was very hopeful. However, the report stated no change. However, it felt better and I was grateful.

After being discharged from the hospital, I walked upstairs and spent the afternoon with Rex and Lyle.

Home again that night, at about the same time, the hives started coming back. Uggh! Not wanting to do the whole ambulance thing again, we decided that Mom would just take me to the ER before anything progressed to emergency status. (James had gotten 1 1/2 hours of sleep the night before.) More drugs to calm the histamines and my own epipen. But, I didn't have to stay the night.

So, here we are, Sunday evening. My leg is still bothering me. It is stressing me more than being painful at this point. I have a husband and 6 kiddos including preemie twins who need their wife and mother. A traveling blood clot is freaking me out! I happened to see my Dr. at the hospital when I went to be with the boys tonight. He said we'll do another ultrasound on Tuesday (tomorrow being Memorial Day). Now I'm just praying that the clot will stay at bay and that I can calm my nerves.

On the bright side...

Rex and Lyle are doing great. They are in the same isolette, off all breathing helps and IV fluids trying to learn to eat and gain weight.

The night nurse caught Rex and Lyle the night before last when they were
reunited for the first time in 10 days.

Bumble Bee Boys

This is how I found them when we went to visit them this evening. Lyle holding Rex's ear.

Dad and Hyrum holding both boys together for the first time.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad things turned out ok. That's a pretty scary ordeal!! What sweet pictures of the little guys! Thanks for sharing. Hope they are able to come home soon. We love you all.

    Love,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete