Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Brithday Party, Baptism and Mother's Day

In our family, the kids get a birthday party with friends at ages 8, 12, and 16. (Bryant was an exception because a couple of years ago he had invited several friends to a non-existent birthday party and so we ended up having them and their families over for a BBQ.) Anyway, Bryant wanted a baseball birthday party and so that's what it was. The boys all brought their mitts and we (yes, I participated for awhile) played a game of baseball. We had baseball food---hot dogs, chips, and soda. And sent them home with this baseball icon.


Party Favors

Mud Pie for birthday cake.

The next day was what really counts. Bryant was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He listened to the speakers intently (I was happily surprised) and it was a simple and wonderful experience.

Afterwards, we went to my grandma's 86th birthday party. My kids don't know the grandma that I knew, but I'm glad they will have memories of her happy and loving demeanor.

And I had a wonderful Mother's day for so many reasons, this being one of them:

Hyrum made this picture in his nursery class. When I saw it I sincerely told him I loved it. He responded, "it booful" (it's beautiful). So precious.

Another moment that melted my heart on Mother's Day.

Saturday night, Bryant pinched a nerve in his neck after his baptism and he had been in a lot of pain ever since. Bryant had sat perfectly still the entire sacrament meeting because he hurt so bad. I told him he didn’t have to go up and sing when it came time for the primary musical number. He said he wanted to go up. He got up on the stand and looked at me, and with a painful grimace all over his face he forced a smile at me. It said loud and clear, "I hurt, but I love you." It melted my heart.

Talmage and Sariah also looked right at me and gave me, “I love you” smiles. All the while Hyrum kept saying, “Me go up dare. Talmage, Byant, Siah, up dare. Me go up dare.” How we love these precious little ones. Again, we asked ourselves this evening, how do we archive these moments to relive when we are old and lonely. Oh, how we love these little ones.

The time passes so quickly as I'm sure my own Mother would agree. This is she and I, probably 1976. With each passing Mother's Day, I appreciate her more.

No comments:

Post a Comment