Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Spring Break

Last year for Spring Break with 10 month old twins, we decided to let each of the kids choose an activity for the week instead of trying to make a trip.  This year we thought something along the same lines was a good idea since we'll have two family reunions to make it to this summer.
 
Sunday afternoon we went down in Grandpa's field and flew kites.  Even Rex and Lyle were able to hold on to a kite for awhile.
 
Monday, we met up with friends at the McGee playground and then had a picnic.  The weather couldn't have been nicer and little faces showed their first signs of sun.
 
Yesterday, we met up with cousins at the Mesa park where the zip line is the hit.  Again, picture perfect weather.
 
This morning we hiked Badger Mountain.  Of the many times I've hiked Badger, today was the most picturesque.  Wild flowers, the songs of birds, and a lot of sunshine.
 I'm sure the kids wish the dog was ours, but it's just the friendly hiker/photographer who graciously took our picture for us.  (We look like quite the crew don't we?  Love it!)
 
Hyrum is hosting his cousin Adam's "Flat Stanley" this week, so Stanley got to go with us. 
 (A few jokes were made that we were glad he was "Flat Stanley" and not "Fat Stanley".)
 
It was so interesting to me to watch the personalities of my husband and kiddos as we hiked. 
(I "brought up the rear".)
 
James at times was not only carrying Lyle on his back, but Hyrum in his arms whenever Hyrum was tired or had scraped his knee.  Our strength and protector.
 
When some big birds came out of nowhere and we wondered what they were, without a second thought Talmage told us they were Sage Grouse.  I'm not sure he was right, but he's done the research to sound credible.
 
I could see Sariah singing to herself and choreographing with her arms as she walked.
 
Hyrum was the one who remembered Flat Stanley and he carried him the whole way up and down.  He found a fascinating green caterpillar.
 
As I carried Rex, I could see the shadow of his hand waving.  He's a social little guy.
 
Both he and Lyle went beserk whenever a dog came into view, "Gog! Gog! Gog!"
 
If I could have chosen anything in the world to do with my family today, I think it would be to do just what I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment