Thursday, February 18, 2010

Inevitables

Hyrum has his first ear infection. The fever started Sunday afternoon and because he won't take any medicine, was relentless through most of Tuesday. No fever now, but he's still not himself. In fact, I reserve the word "hate" for things I really feel that strongly about, but I can honestly say I hate giving my kids medicine. All of them fight it with everything they have and it is an all out battle of restraining limbs, forcing open jaws, and praying that they don't choke while the medicine in squeezed into the back of their mouth, and the jaws are held open until they have no choice but to swallow. It's awful, awful, awful. And we've tried all the other alternatives. In fact, Hyrum has had so much food with "hidden" medicine that currently he won't eat anything off a spoon. It makes me a little angry because it took him so so long to eat any solids at all, and now that he has done so well for a month or so, he won't eat anything again. That episode, three times a day for 7 days is dreadful.

I have now exchanged one pair of Bryant's school pants at least 4 times under Shopko's tough kid policy since the beginning of the school year. Thank you Shopko.

While Talmage was doing his homework this afternoon, he randomly asked me, "Can men have pepper spray too?" (For Christmas, Grandpa Wells gave me pepper spray to take jogging early in the morning. It must be on Talmage's mind.)

Sariah spent the day talk, talk, talking to Grandma. A fresh ear for a conversationalist.

My Mom was here for several hours today between her ride in and her ride out. It was so nice to have her here. I told her the only way we get to keep her here for any amount of time is if she can't drive. She made Hyrum smile, played school with Sariah and read her her naptime story, did dishes, coaxed me into having a nap, and was all the moral support I could ask for after a couple of rough nights. There is always a spirit of peace about her.

She told me to cherish the fact that Talmage had asked for and was eating raw lasagna noodles while I cooked dinner. She said Laryn used to do that with spaghetti. I never would have thought to cherish that so now it is in black and white for years to come.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Makala, you just haven't caught a break with Hyrum! Either he isn't sleeping, isn't eating, or he is sick. Poor little guy. We'll pray for a smooth(er) couple of days for you.

    ReplyDelete