Monday, August 31, 2009

First Day of School

I was skeptical about our first morning of the new school year getting two kids out the door, but it went okay. We decided that we are going to start waking the boys up so we can read scriptures with James before he leaves for school at 6:30. In years past I have read to the kids as they eat breakfast, but we feel it's important enough to have James involved to wake them up now. I can't say they were excited to get out of bed that early, but they were compliant, and each took a turn reading. I think it is a great thing to make a habit. Talmage also got his piano practicing done before breakfast! Bryant was ready and waiting, Talmage was rushing around until the last minute, but we were all out the door by 8:15. (We did have to come back once we got to the stop sign because Talmage forgot his lunch.)
It was a beautiful morning for a walk. Talmage was ready to go. Bryant was obviously a little more nervous. When Bryant was in line to walk into class, he held up his hand and whispered under his breath, "love kiss." I had completely forgotten about our daily "love kiss" last year. The notion comes from a book his teacher read to him the first day of kindergarten about a little creature who was nervous to go to school, but found comfort in a kiss his mother would place in the palm of his hand where he could retrieve it whenever he felt he needed it. It was super sweet from my sweetheart of a boy.

After that, Sariah and I had some much needed, long awaited, one on one time. We colored pictures in her princess coloring book, read stories from the Friend, chose a family home evening lesson (it was her turn for the lesson tonight), and made bread. She'll eat as much raw dough as I'll let her have. When she gets the attention she needs, she's a very pleasant little lady. She watch Sesame Street with her clipboard so she could practice the letter of the day.
By 4 o'clock we were anxious to hear how the boys' first day had gone, but no boys. We decided to take some freezer pops (since it was over 90 degrees) and meet them on their way home. Well, we kept walking and walking expecting to see them around every bend, but still no boys. By the time we got to the school, the grounds were completely empty and my heart was pumping---partly from anxiety concerning the whereabouts of my boys, and partly from speed walking up the hill on a very hot day pushing a double stroller. When I got to the school, the lights were out. I managed to catch the principal and explain the situation. She suggested I call the mother of the boy with whom they walk home. Her son was home and he said he walked home with my boys. I called our house and after it rang and rang, a sobbing Talmage answered the phone. They were as panicked as I was. All I can figure is they walked in the front door right after we walked out the back door and we just missed each other. I felt like we all needed some cooling off, figuratively and literally, so for the first time I asked the neighbors if we could come swimming. It felt good. What a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment