Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

Yesterday evening, we celebrated my Grandma's birthday and Mother's Day. It was a perfectly gorgeous, calm evening, as opposed to the weather we've been having during the course of the last week. My uncles and aunts and their families joined us in our backyard to celebrate the life of a woman who has seen much of the last century, it's ups and downs. A few years back, I took it upon myself to type our her hand-written life's history. It was an amazing experience. The grandma I had grown up knowing and loving became this heroine of the 20th century as I learned about her work during the war years and her role as a faithful wife and mother pioneering the Columbia Basin in the mid 1900s. Now, age is making its mark upon her mind as she is challenged by progressing alzheimers disease. Perhaps a recent experience depicts her most endearing and lasting quality.

At Christmastime this last year, one of my aunts, Rhonda, shared the following story:

Rhonda had grandma as her home, her turn to assist her with daily life. Grandma was supposed to sign something, but was having a hard time writing her name. Rhonda suggested she practice for awhile before signing and left her with a pen and paper while she attended to a few things around the house. Soon it was time to leave to run errands and so Rhonda folded Grandma's paper, put it in her purse, and off they went. Sometime during the day of running around, Rhonda found herself waiting in a line. She pulled the piece of paper from her purse to see how Grandma had done with her penmanship practice. This is what she found.



Grandma is love.

Last night was another testimony of that. Although she can't find her way around my house, as I was helping her down the two steps to go get in the car, with all her kids and grandkids mingling around, she said, "I love everybody, I just love everybody." And I know she meant it.

Happy Mother's Day Grandma. For all that you are and have made of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment