Monday, May 31, 2010

In Memory...


Last week I was saddened as I listened to the radio advertisements concerning Memorial Day. All the talk was about special sales and planning your weekend home improvement project. I didn't hear anything about what Memorial Day is really about...about honoring those who have paid the dearest price for the freedoms we enjoy and take for granted everyday, and the families who have had to live the rest of life without their fallen heroes.

I'm so grateful to my Aunt Stacey and extended family who made this day special for our family. At 2:50 we gathered at Country View Cemetery.


There was a prayer and a minute of silence at exactly 3pm, the nationally appointed time to remember the fallen soldiers. Following, Aunt Stacey explained the origin of Memorial Day. Then Talmage and Bryant through narration and a short poem shared the significance of the red poppy, penned by Moina Michael in 1915.

We cherish too, the poppy red,
That grows in fields where valor led,
It seems to signal to the skies,
That blood of heroes never dies.

There was a gun salute honoring family members who have fallen in war.

It was a special and sobering event, perfectly fitting for Memorial Day. I'm so glad my children were able to have at least a little feeling for this country and its heroes.


Prior to the Memorial Day service, I guess you could say we had a weekend project.

8:30 this morning:

A couple hours later:

A couple more hours later:

Finished product: Approximately 220 pumpkins starts transplanted (and a lot of weeding in our future). And...



Thank you American Heroes for what you gave so that I could spend this wonderful day with my family in open country sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment