Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Fancy Nancy


Sariah and I both love Fancy Nancy books.

Sariah has decided to be Fancy Nancy for Halloween.
(That's great news for the costume maker.)

Before bed tonight we read a Fancy Nancy book.
As I was tucking Sariah in, she said, "On my birthday, I was 'almost overjoyed.'"

On her birthday, I was overjoyed. Here's why:

Like I said, I spent the morning with this pleasant little lady hiking Badger Mountain
at her request. A week and a half ago I hiked Badger Mountain with the YW on our third annual "virtue hike" as we recommitted ourselves to living virtuous lives. As a tradition, each YW makes a flag---her banner, her ensign as her personal commitment to virtue. Sariah wanted to do the same.

On the morning of her birthday she made her flag (white muslin on a dowel)---a drawing of herself, standing by the temple, sun shining, grass growing.



I watched her skip, draw in the wet dirt, throw pebbles in puddles, pick flowers, watch bugs, climb rocks, drag sticks, tippy toe, eat 4 granola bars, grin from ear to ear.


Sariah reminding me to "stop and smell the flowers".

I heard her sing, and make such profound statements as: "I have no one to talk to." referring to the very moment she was chatting my ear off.

She would stop every hundred yards or so, ask for her flag, hold it up to her eye like a telescope and move it around until the far end of it was touching the temple. (It is quite the panoramic view from Badger and without a way to focus on a specific area it was very difficult for her to "find" the temple. But using this method, she easily could spot the temple.) It was so symbolic to me that her commitment to virtue was the tool that kept her focused on the temple.



Me and my girlfriend for life.

I also realized more than any gift I could have given her, the gift of time together was the most fun and will be the most memorable for both of us. I resolved to do the same with each of my children on their birthdays. Why didn't I think of this before?

No comments:

Post a Comment