Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Happy Harvest


I hate to say good-bye to summer. My one consolation is next comes the season of harvest. I love harvest time! I love the crisp mornings, and cool evenings. I love that my flowers gain a second wind after the scorching heat. I love to see the fruits of 6 months of labor.

This will be the fourth year our family has raised pumpkins. I guess the first year, grandpa raised them, and we enjoyed his work. Since then, we have used grandpa's farm to help our children learn the value of work, the law of the harvest, and that you reap what you sow. It has been a wonderful experience. We grow several different varieties of pumpkins (technically squash) in all sorts of colors, shapes, and sizes.


We also grow gorgeous gourds! See for yourself.


Last year I started putting together decorative baskets, and I had so much fun! I finished my first one today and I am toying with the idea of trying to sell them this year. In the past, every penny the pumpkins have earned has belonged to the kids, a little to spend, a lot to save. I want this to remain their project, so I'm trying to figure out how best to combine our efforts.

What do you think? Would you buy it? How much?

No comments:

Post a Comment